Monday, January 24, 2011

School Camps

Yr 7 PE, A9

I have four students. The reason being that they’ve just finished a three-day camp yesterday, it’s a school sports day today, and tomorrow’s a public holiday. I guess after all that the parents figured, why bother? The teacher’s instructions say “Probably no one. Try Workbook p15”. I abandon that idea and just spend the time talking to the kids, asking them how the camp went, etc.

I’ve got Dylan, Scott, Hayley and Kimberly. Dylan’s a bit of a rebel: he tells me about the various adventures he got up to on the camp, including raids on the other huts and disturbing the animals on their visit to Healesville Sanctuary. The girls enthuse about the animals they got to touch – wombats, koalas, emus, even a snake. Scott’s a fairly straight, sensible kid. He asks to go to his locker and get a book. He doesn’t participate so much in the conversation.

I try relating some of my own stories about camps I’ve been on, but they don’t seem to be interested in what I have to say. Can’t say I blame them, but it’s strange how a lot of the older students can’t seem to stop asking me questions when I have them.

So anyway, I find out lots about this camp. There was square-dancing (Dylan tells me he and a mate dressed up as girls in mini-skirts); one student got injured mucking around on a trampoline (typical); the food was okay but the eggs were like custard (one boy kept eating everyone else’s vegetables); and the teachers woke the students up with their constant noise in the early hours of the morning (hmm, it’s usually the other way around!).

No comments:

Post a Comment