Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Lesbians

Year 10 VET (private study), T2

Pretty laidback class. About half of my twelve students are doing some study, the rest are, well, bludging. My job is basically to babysit. Shweeeet! It’s a free-dress day too. Most of the kids are wearing jeans, sneakers and sports tops. Exchanging one uniform for another really.

You should have seen the kids in my last class: years sevens, and some of them were dressed up to the nines. One little girl, Sinead, was wearing a sophisticated little gold party top with plunging neckline (plunging into very little!) and spaghetti straps. One of her friends said she was trying to impress her boyfriend. That’ll do it, I thought to myself – but said to her it wasn’t very appropriate for school. Ah well, they’re year sevens – what do you expect?

Anyway, back to this class, check it out - a couple of girls have spent most of the period in each other’s arms. They’re either lesbians or very comfortable with each other. One of the boys, Aaron, asks them if he can ‘watch’. One of them, Blair, says “Join us”. Aaron enthusiastically runs over, but he’s only pretending; he knows she doesn’t really mean it.

God, look at them: now the other, Renee, is leaning her head on Blair’s breasts, which are covered by a flimsy white low-cut top. Oh baby…I know this seems like weird behaviour for a classroom, but believe me, really it’s not. The kids don’t even expect me to say something to them about it, and I don’t. I mean, it’s only ‘private study’.

Another girl, Kristin, is starting to play around with some hard lollies she’s brought to class. They’re those little round sour-balls covered in coconut. She’s throwing them around, trying to get them in the bin, which is behind me. She knows it’s annoying me but she doesn’t care, and frankly, neither do I. She takes great delight in calling them her “hairy balls”.

1 comment:

  1. I probably should have separated the girls, even if it was a 'private study' class. Guess I was more tolerant back then!

    ReplyDelete